Sunday, June 12, 2011

shadowing.

This weekend I got the full experience of New Hope Honolulu. The impressive schedule of five services may have seemed monotonous at first (like, what in the world will I be doing over and over again for five of the same service?), but it definitely was not.
I arrived at 12:30 PM on Saturday for band rehearsal, because I was shadowing keys. For the 5 o'clock service, I shadowed backstage, with a nifty headset and everything! I got to observe the goings-on behind the scenes: making sure people were on standby, getting the right people out at the right times, keeping track of microphones. A lot of work and responsibility! Next service, I shadowed the producer, which I also did last week.
Sunday morning, 7 o'clock service, I handed out bulletins, then sat in on the message. Next service, I sat in on the whole service, on the other side of the auditorium. (different perspective :] ) For the last service, I once again shadowed producing. As you can tell, I am interested in the producing aspect. ;) I definitely I want to do it sometimes in our student-led chapels at school next year! Each time I shadowed, it was a different producer, and it was cool to see different people's styles. It was very interesting to see the same service from different perspectives, and the different behind-the-scenes work that goes into a service. It was also awesome to be able to talk to the different people I was shadowing or working with, and see and hear the heart of New Hope. :)

1 comment:

  1. Christie,

    Isn't it quite refreshing and exciting to see things from a different perspective? Or being able to observe or participate in something you've never seen "behind the scenes" before? I'm sure you had lots of fun!

    And in regards to the style, it is so cool to hear that. Everyone has a different style of doing things, but in the end the same goal is accomplished. It helps prevent mediocrity, while at the same time encourages freedom and teamwork.

    And it must have been cool wearing the headset, yes? ;p

    ReplyDelete