Tuesday, June 21, 2011

It Starts Now!

He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity (but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?) - 1 Timothy 3:4-5

Paul is writing to Timothy to explain to him the requirements of being a deacon or overseer in the church. This whole chapter was a description of what a deacon or overseer should look like in regards to his character, his household and his life outside of the church. One of the things that Paul says is that an overseer must be one who manages his household well because how can he take care of the house of God if he cannot even take care of his own household? I always saw this as a good verse to come back to once I get married and one that I should really meditate on once I start having kids, but I am realizing that who I am now will determine the condition of my household tomorrow. My characteristics, traits and habits now will define my household. I have to be intentional now to start building the household that honors God and is under His control because ultimately the household starts with me, and if I get into a marriage or start a family when I, as an individual, am not under control in terms of my character and habits, then how can I expect to manage a family.

Josh, it starts with you. Your discipline, your integrity, your character, your prudence and diligence now is going to determine what kind of foundation your family and household is one day laid upon. Therefore, be intentional about everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment