Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Communication

I am still learning. Constantly learning.

When I got the opportunity to hear some of my peers preach sermons they prepared, it made me evaluate myself too (even though I wasn't going to give a sermon). I was there to give feedback and constructive criticism to my peers in regards to their body language, sermon content, and overall delivery in their communication.

But as I sat there in the chair, I realized,

I need to learn and practice more of how I communicate and preach.

Even though I have some experience speaking in front of large groups, I think I still need to refine how I communicate and define more of my preaching "style." Because personally for me, it is important to constantly refine and improve my preaching. Preaching is not just speaking, but it is communicating and speaking about God's Word.

That is a huge responsibility.

I need to make sure I am not lazily putting sermons together at the last minute or feeding "instant microwave dinners" to the people.

In the seasons when I don't necessarily get opportunities to preach onstage, I still need to work on my preaching.

Being in this internship and being involved in so many ministries has helped me realized how I still need to be teachable and practice. Not to get lazy, but to diligently focus on what I need to improve and learn in what I communicate.

Even if it takes a long time practicing in front of an empty room or mirror, or writing sermons for the sake of practice instead of, "Oh, I'm preaching next week, so I need to prepare a message."

I really enjoy and love the art of communication. I commit to practicing and refining my skill in this area.

I take Paul's advice to heart, when he told young Timothy,

"Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching" (II Timothy 4:2 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment